Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 12:41:50 -0600
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFS

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Terry said:
>
> > I am offering to do a preliminary port of the XFS code,
> > potentially to the point of minimally a read-only mount, and
> > perhaps much further, depending on the effort required.
>
> .. and I'm already (only initially) trudging my way through the
> linux XFS code and slowly fixing it up.
>
> I've hit a sticker - the lacking mount interface we have - which
> I'm also slowly reworking to be more flexible and suited to
> the XFS requirements.
>
> So Terry, if you'd like to help, lets sort out the mount interface,
> help me finish bits of the userland interface, and then we can
> work on getting the XFS kernel code in.
>
> .. i might say that from what I hear, it might be easier to port
> XFS to FreeBSD based on the original XFS code before it was
> Linux-ified, but I'm willing to walk through the linux code.

I can go back in time and dig up any of the old interface code.
It will have to used only as reference since it may have old license
issues, most of it was clean but a couple of places had problems.
VFS and VNODE stuff was clean based on the fact the BSD code
is out there.

Note: we put a layer over the top of the XFS vfs/vnode interface
most of the interface is in tact, and should be a matter of stripping
of the linvfs_ layer.
CXFS needs stackable FS's, the linux VFS layer doesn't have
any concept of this, so we needed to keep the vfs/vnode stuff.
Behaviors will have to be added... this shouldn't be to much of a
problem.

Rig now the vnode is part of the linux inode structure... all the vnode
members were left in place... the only thing that was pushed up was
the count, but this was done with a macro, this should be a trivial
conversion.

I wish I had more time to work on this stuff, but the linux port has
a lot of work on the todo list.

But please keep asking questions; I really would like to see XFS on a
decent
OS.

--
Russell Cattelan