Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:52:54 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Will this cron job work?

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:31:18PM +1000, BSD Freak wrote:
> I have a quick question. I need a cron job to run every 4 week (28
> days) on a Monday (ie every 4th Monday). Will the following do it:
>
> 1 8 * * 1/4 root /mydir/myscript
>

> With the above I am trying to run /mydir/myscript at 8:01am every 4th
> Monday. Will it work?

No --- that will run your job every Monday.  There isn't any facility
in cron to run jobs based on week number.

The easiest way to achieve what you want is to use cron to run your
job every Monday:

1 8 * * 1 root /mydir/myscript

And modify your script to test that the week number of the year is a
multiple of 4 or else exit immediately by adding something like this
at the top:

    weekno=$(date +%U)
    if [ $(($weekno % 4)) != 0 ] ;
    then
	exit
    fi

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK