Date:      Fri, 31 May 2013 09:27:24 -0400
From:      "Steve Wills" <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "bw.mail.lists" <bw.mail.lists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ruby 1.9 upgrade and puppet

> Moving to ruby 1.9 by following the instructions in UPDATING breaks
> puppet.
>
> When updating with portmaster, at install time it says 'could not load
> facter; cannot install' and exits. I had to manually run 'gem install
> facter', then puppet installed.

It's better to install via the port so that the package management knows
it's there. This could be causing the later problems.

> However, 'service puppetmaster status'
> was reporting puppet as not running even though it was, so I had to kill
> the running process before 'service puppetmaster start'. I assume this
> is related to $command_interpreter in the rc script being changed from
> ruby18 to ruby19? Although, /usr/local/bin/ruby and
> /usr/local/bin/ruby19 are identical, can't the script use plain ruby
> instead of ruby19?

It would probably be best to kill puppet before the upgrade.

> For poudriere, puppet failed, still facter:
>
> =======================<phase: install
> >============================
> ===>  Installing for puppet-3.1.1_2
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if sysutils/puppet already installed
> ===> Creating users and/or groups.
> Creating group `puppet' with gid `814'.
> Creating user `puppet' with uid `814'.
> ftools not found.  Using FileUtils instead..
> Could not load facter; cannot install
> *** [do-install] Error code 255
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/puppet.
> ===>  Cleaning for puppet-3.1.1_2
> build of /usr/ports/sysutils/puppet ended at Fri May 31 11:37:10 CEST 2013
>
> Rebuilding everything with 'poudriere bulk -c' worked fine. I'm aware
> that rebuilding everything isn't needed, but it didn't take that long.

I'm unable to reproduce any build issues.

> But then, when upgrading with pkg, again I had to 'gem install facter'
> manually and kill the running script before puppet would restart.

Could you send me a list of installed system packages and the output of
"gem list"?

Thanks,
Steve