Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:56:34 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kero-Chan <kerochan2@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The difference between cl-* and cl-*-<implementation> ports

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:36:42PM -0500, Kero-Chan wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Can someone explain to me what is the difference between cl-* and
> cl-*-<implementation> ports?
> Like cl-ppcre and cl-ppcre-{cmucl|sbcl|clisp}?
> I looked at the Makefiles, but it's still not clear :(
> Esp., considering theese are *ports*: Looking at the description of,
> say, cl-ppcre-clisp:
> "This package installs binaries for CLISP."
> I don't really understand this. CLISP is actually a bytecode
> interpreter. So I guess this installs multiplatform bytecode binaries?
> But... this is a *port*! Packages install binaries; ports download the
> source and compile it.

compile it...with a compiler.  You have a choice of different
compilers to build these ports with, namely cmucl, sbcl, or clisp.
The ports specify different compilers so that packages built from them
are compatible with other code compiled by the same compiler.

Kris

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--