Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
To:        "Søren" Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: httpd user for Apache?

It is better not to call the user httpd as that is also one
of the commands that starts apache.
On my system, for instance, I have created a user apache
and have placed all the executable files in the apache home
directory. (the default location is usr/local i think).
1. create a user  - using useradd command....just like
adding any new user to the system.
2. create home directory
3. use the./configure command with prefix=/path to home dir
    (the README should have the info).
  example: ./configure prefix=/export/home/apache
  This will put all the binaries in export/home/apache

Hopefully this was helpful.

Thx,
Radhika.

--- Søren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk> wrote:
> I have read somewhere that it is a good idea to make
> you'r
> applications run under specific users, and not under
> root. How is the
> best way to configure such a user, as an example a user
> for the Apache
> httpd deamon (i got so far as to name the user httpd).
> Should it be in
> a specific group, have restricted rights and so on...
>
> --
> Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
>  Søren Neigaard mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk
> --
>  "The only truly secure computer is one buried in
> concrete, with the power turned off and the network cable
> cut."

message

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall