Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 14:28:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD hackerlist <FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@tfs.com>
Subject:   New Snapshot...Good and Bad....

HI folks;

	Well, i have returned to the netlands, after being down with a
rather troublesome upgrade to the latest snap.

	First of all, the good news...Man, that kernel boots quick! The
probe routines seem to be much smarter, i would guess that the GENERIC
kernel booted in half the time the 2.0 GENERIC booted in!

	2nd good news! the console BEL function seems to have been
finally implemented correctly. I get  lots of happy noises from seyon
when it connects ( a different one for each connection! ) and my remote
shells with term now transmit the BEL when new messages are queued by
pine running on the school system.... neat!

3rd FINAL BEST NEWS ! THE NCA DRIVER WORKS!!!! I HAVE A TAPE DRIVE AT
LONG LAST YIPPEE !!!! nca is the driver for the ncr 8 bit scsi chip found
on the cheesy 16 sound plus cdrom cards from PAS ( not the scsi II faast
and wide cards..the scsi I narrow and slow cards ) I am really happy
about this, i signed up for killing my system with a snapshot in order to
see if the nca driver actually was actually working..in case inquiring
minds wanted to know..

	most of my important applications have compiled smoothly
including term, which actually nolonger requires makefile hacking in
order to get it to install anymore

	mostly the good is pretty damn good, but then there is the bad.. :-(

	For a net connected or cdrom owning person i would imagine that
the 2.0 install is way cool. The graphics are good, the idea is pretty
sound, but it seems to be lacking any mechanism that i can see for doing
the install in a robust way, meaning that if u have succeeded in
newfs'ing the system and getting part of the dist on, it wants to either
say "whooppee! your done!" or F*$K YOU! START OVER! So currently I am
left with all of the config stuff completely hosed! I dont want to be
root on myname.my.domain forever! How do i run sysinstall again with out
having it insist on newfsing my damn harddrive. I conceed the possibilty
of ignorance on my part, but can somebody tell me how i am suppossed to
finish the configuration and addd my wife and i on as newusers? The
configuration is really important because while i no have tty access to
the net via term, it is not allowing me to use my other term aware apps
such as my web browser:
: gethostbyname: myname.my.domain: Non-authoritative `host not found', or
server failed

	ALL of my CLASSES use the WEB to disseminate info to the
students, ( oh , aint modern life grand.. ) so i would really appreciate
some help on this, please...

	the other problem, which i imagine is a snapshot kind of thing ,is
that CLISP falls over dead while it is trying to bootstrap iself. It sez
it has a memory error and then dumps core.:

- core
dumped
*** Error code 139

lord only knows what is going on here, if anybody is worried about this,
they can email me and i will do what ever they would like to have done
test wise... iwould point out that this was happy as a clam on 2.0

all in all good work! with what i expect will be an enhanced install 2.1
should have a lot to offer!
 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life