Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:49:20 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Andy Greenwood <greenwood.andy@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CLI text editor recommendation

Andy Greenwood wrote:

> I need a CLI text editor I can use over ssh, which does NOT append
> newlines to the end of files as I save them. I am using this to edit
> PHP files, and my PHP doesn't like newlines outside the last ?>. ee
> and vi both do so, I tried nano which also does the same. I haven't
> installed emacs to try that yet, since the man page says that it also
> does the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Emacs most certainly can save files without newlines.  I don't see any
option in my .emacs to force this behaviour so assume it works out of
the box, nor can I find any reference in the man page which says it does
add newlines.  OTOH, emacs may be overkill if you don't already use it.

I would have thought vi would have an option to stop this happening, but
don't see one.

I'm surprised at PHP barfing on "extra" newlines, but then I've never
used it.

--Alex