Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:09:13 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how would you set up a mail hub ? possible with one IP ?

Dan,

thanks a lot for the help/advice/corrections... things seem to be working
ok - got the mailhub running for several domains all on one IP.

>> However, the mail hub (FBSDBox C) is posing a bit of a problem.
>> If i am not mistaken, this means that the zone file for, say,
>>Avirtual2.com is :
>>
>> ; /etc/namedb/Avirtual2.zone :
>> ; Data file of hostnames in this zone.
>> ;
>> Avirtual2.com.  IN      SOA     Areal.com. postmaster.Areal.com. (
>>                         24      300     60     1209600    43200 )
>> ;
>> Avirtual2.com.           IN      NS              nameserver1.com.
>>                                   IN      NS              nameserver2.com.
>> Avirtual2.com.           IN     MX              10 mail.Avirtual2.com.
>                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>NO, your MX record needs to point at the real host

thank you. that made things a lot easier.... i didn't realise that sendmail
and dns
could work this out between themselves.

>> Avirtual2.com.           IN      A   202.184.153.99
>> 202                             IN      CNAME   202.184.153.99.
>
>??? I have *no* idea what the intent is here but it won't work
>no matter what.  Remove it.

quick explanation :
this is Malaysia, the Net works differently. ;)
I became sysadmin because our real sysop left to open a cafe/bar.
I knew absolutely nothing about sysadmin and should have bought shares in
o'reilly books.
So, I used the zone/named files that were already there and have always
been intrigued by this 202 in there..... but everything seemed to be working.
Now I have to change the mailservers, dns and everything which means really
learning how to do this from scratch...

thank you everso much for putting me correct on this.
(i had just presumed it was some higher level guru trick....)

>> www.Avirtual2.com.  IN  CNAME   Avirtual2.com.
>
>> The virtual mail domains on the mailhub are not the problem but it looks
>> like we will end up using 2 IP numbers for each domain.
>
>Not necessary, not even desirable.

yep,in retrospect everything is surprisingly easier than expected....
with any luck i may even be able to go home this weekend and change my laundry.

>> is there any way to do this using just one IP number on the mailhub ?
>
>See above.

thanks a lot Dan,

Chas