Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:11:36 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        'emailrob' spellberg <emailrob@emailrob.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDmall vs Daemonnews mall

'emailrob' spellberg wrote:
> i am arguing "controlled" vs. "uncontrolled" distribution of code.
>
> take me as an example.
> i am relatively new to the neighborhood.
>
> if i send in my latist whiz_bang for inclusion in the distribution,
>   will it be included just because i say it's great?
>
> or:  is there a group of one or more people
>   who will examine my work for things like
>
>   a]  incompetence, or
>   b]  malice,
>
> before it ever gets near the burner?

The answer is "Yes, Whoever burns the CDROM will do that".

The consequences of them not doing that, and including your
program, are that they will go out of business as a point of
distribution.

Since burning CDROMs in bulk for sale, preparation of jewel
cases and docuentation, silk-screen artwork for the CDROM
itself, licensing of any books or software (e.g. Partition
Magic and Boot Magic) to include with a boxed set, etc.,
etc., are not free, then it will be a for-profit business.

Therefore economics is the check and balance on whether or
not they will be successful in continuing their existance
as a for-profit business.

So if someone incompetantly ships your Trojan Horse on
their distribution, their incompetance will force them
out of business, and it will be a non-problem from that
day forward.

I don't understand how you can presume centralized control
of distribution is any more a prerequisite for quality
than centralized development.  FreeBSD, by its very nature
assumes that centralized control of developement is *not*
a prerequisite.

-- Terry