Date:      Sun, 09 May 2004 12:37:25 -0700
From:      Thomas Lippert <tlippert362@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [samba] can't print from w2k to bsd printer

on Sun May  9 12:14:02 2004 Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've spend several hours trying to get samba to play nice. I can get user to
> login from windows to their bsd-account, mount CD's etc.. But I can't get the
> users to print. I can see the printer and I can install it. But when I click
> on the installed printer I get "access denied".
>
> I've tried everything, dublicating every smb.conf I could find. Trying out
> every options. None helped. Hope someone here can spot what's wrong.
>
> My setup is a desktop PC running FBSD and a laptop with w2k. These are
> connected through a router. The printer is a laserjet and works great on the
> FBSD.
>
> And I'm a newbie to samba.
see http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html
there are many useful examples. There should be an answer here, or at
least something new to try. This the oreilly samba book, should have all
you need plus plenty of details.

> /etc/printcap (using fbsd's native lpr):
>
> laserjet|lp|ps|PS|S|hp|HP LaserJet 1200:\
>         :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/laserjet:\
>         :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:

> /usr/local/etc/smb.conf: (as it looks right now).
>
> [global]
>   netbios name = fbsd
>   server string = "Samba Server"
>   workgroup = WORKGROUP
>   security = share
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>   wins support = yes
>   printing = bsd
>   printcap name = /etc/printcap
>   load printers = yes
>   use client driver = no
>
> [printers]
>   comment = All printers
>   printable = yes
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   browseable = no
>   public = yes
>   read only = yes
>   writable = no
>
> [laserjet]
>   comment = LaserJet 1200 on FreeBSD
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   browseable = yes
This could be problem try removing the line.
>   printable = yes
>   writable = no
This is probably the problem, remember that a printer cue is really a
directory, and as such will probably require write access. Although I
haven't used samba in a while, and rarely for printing.
>   hosts allow = 192.168.1.
>   guest ok = yes
>
> Permission on /var/spool/samba:
>
> drwxrwxrwt  2 root   wheel   512 May  9 21:35 samba
>
> I've tried 2 ways of installing the printer on w2k. 1) Clicking on the
> printericon in the local shares folder and 2) "add new printer" and selecting
> the printer from the network. Both ways gives me "access denied" after
> installation.
>
> Help! ;)
>
> Bjarne
Hope this solves it,