Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:19:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert J. Rutter" <rjr@sparks.empath.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: install on {Net,Open}BSD vs install on FreeBSD

'-d' to create directories is a Sys5R4 option for /usr/ucb/install.
The standard Sys5R4 /usr/bin/install does not accept '-d' as an option.
In either case it's probably no a good idea to use '-d' for debugging,
since some software may depend on it to create a directory.

|On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:
|
|> >In the other BSDs, install -d means to create the directory.  In
|> >FreeBSD it means to turn on debugging.  I propose that we implement
|>
|> Only in -current.  -d is a syntax error in standard BSD and 2.1.5R.
|> I used -d for debugging before I knew about its use for directory
|> stuff.  I copied it from the -d for debugging in make.
|
|I just tested on an older Sun 4c, it's not a syntax error there, it's the
|way the /usr/ucb/install works.

Cheers,
--
Robert Rutter
rjr@sparks.empath.on.ca

The thing I really like about Windows 95 is its artificial intelligence.
For example, check the properties of any file with the extension "old".
Windows 95 will tell you that it is an old file.  What other major
operating system available today has intelligence that is so artificial?

----- End of forwarded message from rjr -----
Cheers,