Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:38:21 -0500
From:      "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@caffeine.gerp.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports WRKDIRPREFIX fails when on separate mount point

	At first I thought this was due to NFS mounts, so I switched to
null mounts, still failed, switched to ufs and still failed.
Everytime I try to build a port with WRKDIRPREFIX, it honors it but
the build fails when the directory is not on the same mounted file
system as the ports tree itself.  Sometimes it breaks patching, sometimes
building, clean never works.  Any ideas?  This is a DEC Alpha 21164 box,
but nothing seems to point it to alpha specific.

	Thanks,
	-Kevin

( Scenario One: NFS mounted /usr/ports WRKDIRPREFIX /usr/ports/work subdir)
apoptygma# mount
/dev/ad0g on /usr (ufs, local, writes: sync 2346 async 3648, reads: sync 2675 async 102)
/dev/ad0h on /export (ufs, NFS exported, local, writes: sync 12172 async 5182, reads: sync 14518 async 269)
localhost:/export/FreeBSD/4x/prod/ports on /usr/ports (nfs)
localhost:/export/distfiles on /usr/ports/distfiles (nfs)
apoptygma# cat /etc/make.conf
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
PERL_THREADED=  true
NO_SENDMAIL=    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
RSAREF= YES
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
COMPAT22=       yes
COMPAT3X=       yes
USA_RESIDENT=           YES
WRKDIRPREFIX=   /usr/ports/work
apoptygma# make
===>  Extracting for tcsh-6.09.00
===>  Patching for tcsh-6.09.00
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for tcsh-6.09.00
===>  Configuring for tcsh-6.09.00
[trimmed successful configure]
===>  Building for tcsh-6.09.00
[trimmed successful build]
apoptygma# make clean
===>  Cleaning for tcsh-6.09.00

( Scenario Two: NFS mounted /usr/ports WRKDIRPREFIX /usr/obj ufs mount /usr )
apoptygma# make
===>  Extracting for tcsh-6.09.00
>> Checksum OK for tcsh-6.09.tar.gz.
===>  Patching for tcsh-6.09.00
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for tcsh-6.09.00
===>  Configuring for tcsh-6.09.00
[trimmed successful configure]
===>  Building for tcsh-6.09.00
`configure' is up to date.
make: don't know how to make real-build. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/ports/shells/tcsh/work/tcsh-6.09.00.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/shells/tcsh.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/shells/tcsh.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/shells/tcsh.
poptygma# make clean
make: don't know how to make clean-depends. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/shells/tcsh.