Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:35:56 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reflections on the Sony Vaio F709 (F590K ?)

Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> probably said:
> The 709 didn't have this partition when I received it.  In addition, the
> first time I booted it up (it had Windows pre-installed) it started up
> PHDISK.EXE which informed me that it was prepping the suspend file.  I
> suspect that these machines now expect to be able to write to a file on
> a FAT partition somewhere in order to successfully suspend.  While this
> does gain you back some disk space (on the order of whatever the maximum
> physical memory you can install in to the machine), it means you can't
> suspend to disk any more :-(  Suspend to memory still works with no problems
> however.

Every vaio I've messed with, if it doesn't ship with a suspend to disk
partition, you can use phdisk /partition /create (from memory) to
create one, then /file /delete to remove the file in a FAT partition
to get rid of the old one. Partition must be under 8Gb into the disk,
so there must be space for it.

> Related to this, I can no longer press Fn+F2 to get a display of the
> remaining battery life.  On the F270 this bought up a graphic display
> showing the life remaining, and whether or not it was running off AC
> power.  That feature's now gone.
>
> I'm hypothesising, but I suspect Fn+F2 is now supposed to trigger the OS
> to do it's own display.  When I ran Windows on the F270 it intercepted
> the request and put up its own graphical display instead.

Yeah, they're slowly moving more crontrol out of the BIOS, which is a
shame. I can do less and less from F keys, with newer vaios.

> Secondly, the internal modem doesn't seem to work with FreeBSD.  It's
> probed (along with the regular serial port) with no problems, as
>
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0x404
> sio2 at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa0
> sio2: type 16550A
> sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>
> and I can tip(1) to cuaa2.  But if I type anything the machine freezes.

Bizarre. I'd expect it to be a winmodem and just not show up.

> The F270 didn't have an internal modem, so this wasn't a problem.  I have
> to hand a COM1 MC220 Modem Card, which has done sterling duty in the 270.
> So I tried that instead.  While it's detected by pccardd, it can't assign
> a driver for it.  So, for the time being, I'm using an external modem

Sounds like you should mess with avaialb ememory space and irqs.

> Speaking of BIOS options, I tried compiling in USB support in to the kernel.
> One of the boot messages then said that "PNPOS" in the BIOS needed to be
> set to 'OFF' for this to work properly.  It then continued booting up
> properly.  So I rebooted, set PNPOS to off in the BIOS, and tried to
> bring FreeBSD up.  It hung just after the IDE disk probes. . .

Are you booting 4.0 by any chance ? I had the same problem with 4.0,
but 4.1-RC1 and 4.1-S have been fine.

> And talking about hangs, "device pcm" works nicely in the F270, allowing
> audio to work, MP3s to play (albeit they sound somewhat tinny).  Not a
> sausage on the F709.  "device pcm" will cause the kernel to hang midway
> through the boot.  This is probably because the F709 uses a different
> NeoMagic chipset to the one on the F270.

The later vaios are mostly Yamaha chipset audio, which is supported in
-STABLE now. Check under windows.

> However, apart from those niggles, everything else works very nicely.
> The additional 1" of screen real estate is very useful, as is the
> increased speed and disk space.  VMWare runs a treat on it, and Win98 is
> only slightly slower in a VMWare window than I would expect it to be when
> run natively.

Cool. I've not managed to get VMWare running particularly fast on my
PIII500/256Mb/12Gb Z505HS, but havn't really messed with it much.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu