Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:38:42 -0600
From:      Shannon Wheeler <swheeler@mcmurraycomputer.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail or dns or other configuration problem?

(already posted to comp.mail.sendmail - hoping to speed things up by posting here)

I wonder if someone could log an smtp connection to this server and give me
some hint as to what's going on (or tell from this error snippet):

<begin error snippet>
  Your message has been enqueued and undeliverable for 1 day
  to the following recipients:

    Recipient address: info@thedomaininquestion.com
    Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1 day
    Recipient address: reg@thedomaininquestion.com
    Reason: unable to deliver this message after 1 day

  Delivery attempt history for your mail:

  Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:18:09 -0600 (MDT)
  TCP active open: Failed connect()    Error: Connection refused
<end error snippet>

The domain is dateomatic.ca (mail.dateomatic.ca).
One legitimate user is maria.
Another is info which maps to dominfo.

I'm also curious what an invalid user, such as "goofy", shows.

There were quite a few of the "Failed connect()    Error: Connection
refused" errors because of the retries so I've tried a bunch of test sends
but none have bounced back (or made it through) yet. (tried yesterday).

When I telnet in on port 25 everything works as expected - no errors.

But when I send mail from a shaw.ca or yahoo.com or hotmail.com or telus.net
account it doesn't come through. Unfortunately I can't log what those folks
smtp sessions do nor can I find any errors about this in /var/log,
/var/mail, or /etc/mail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shannon