Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 13:19:50 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_bus.c uipc_socket2.c

On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 06:03:30PM -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>John Polstra writes:
>> > BTW: How far are we from using -Wall -Werror for the whole source
>> > tree, including kernel ?
>>
>> We should never add -Werror to the standard flags.  If somebody
>> compiles without "-O", the compiler generates spurious warnings.
>> These kill the build if -Werror is present.
>
>That's arguable. Anyone who's capable of removing the -O from some
>included makefile is capable of removing -Werror from some included
>makefile.
>
>In practice, however, -Werror may not be workable... it would be an
>interesting experiment anyway.
>
>> Of course, we should still strive for the goal of "-O -Wall -Werror"
>> working.
>
>Not to mention -Wstrict-prototypes, -Wmissing-prototypes,
>-Wmissing-declarations, -Wnested-externs, ... what else??

In the current XFree86 devel source, we use those plus -Wpointer-arith
and -Wredundant-decls.  I consider the former important.  The latter one
generates a lot of noise from the system headers on many OSs (although
FreeBSD is fairly clean in that regard).  We don't use -Werror, and
we'll probably relax the warnings before this development code is released.

David