Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 23:28:14 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Chuck Sumner <csumner@omnisky.com>, "'Peter Kok'" <cckok00@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: free webmail

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >I haven't looked at IMP in great detail, but even so... what has
> >a SQL DBMS got to do with an IMAP front-end? If it's used to drive
>
> IMP is written in php and php requires a database backend.

Sorry, but nothing could be further from the truth. Though PHP works
emminently together with several dabatase backends, as well as its
internal dBase ISAM driver it does not depend on them. It doesn't
even depend on a web engine. I.e. you can use it for writing
console mode apps. At least, you could when PHP3 was still new <g>.

SquirrelMail is also written in PHP and does not rely on a DBMS either.
In fact, it saves user settings in some sort of text file setup. At
least, that's what I remember from my short peek behind the screens.

Roelof