Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:14:50 +0100
From:      Anders Pedersen <anders@frostad.org>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <mhagerty@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to make /dev/dri/card0?

On 02.02.18 01:25 Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to get X started with hardware support for my Voodoo-3 3000
> (AGP).  I'm running 4.5-Release, X 4.2 compiled and installed from source
> and KDE 2.2.2 from the ports/pagkages.  When I start X and look in
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log, there are these messages where a device open fails:
>
> (II) TDFX(0): Minimum 338, Maximum 1279 lines of offscreen memory available
> drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Unknown error: 999()
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
>
> When I look in /dev/dri the directory is empty.  Everything else seems to
> load without error and I have checked and rechecked that I have all the
> "Load" commands in my XF86Config.  Can anyone give me some info on how
> these "card<x>" devices are supposed to come into existence?  I tried a
> "/dev/MAKEDEV all" but that had no affect.  Any insight would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew

I have the exact same problems at home with my matrox g550 card.
I went for a dive into the source code and noticed that the cardN devices are
created and deleted automagically. And it is not a listed device in MAKEDEV either.
The problem occur when drmOpenDevice is called, and it fails opening the
newly created device.

I've compiled xfree numerous times, both from cvs and ports, tried with varius
combinations of the drm port etc.. still excact same error as you.
So I'd be happy to if anyone had a clever answer this :)

(I'll try again later and retrieve more detailed debugging if wanted.)

--
Anders Pedersen