Date:      Thu, 26 May 2011 09:14:08 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@kfu.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/153804: boot from zfs kernel.old recovery undocumented/impossible

1. Man pages are not helpful when the system will not boot.=20

2. The page in question does not mention the correct type argument for the z=
pool.cache (nor that the type is not material). Not that it necessarily shou=
ld, but in either case, loader(8) is not sufficient.=20

3. Perhaps it would be particularly helpful to print some kind of message as=
 to WHY the system failed to mount root - that the zpool.cache file wasn't l=
oaded. That message would be good google fodder to help folks with unbootabl=
e systems get back up and running.=20

All I know is that I have been without an answer as to how to recover betwee=
n January and a few days ago. That suggests to me the existence of a documen=
tation gap.=20

On May 26, 2011, at 8:20 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> on 26/05/2011 17:40 Nick Sayer said the following:
>> The following reply was made to PR kern/153804; it has been noted by GNAT=
S.