Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:54:47 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, "FreeBSD Current Users' list" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: ntp4 to replace xntpd

In message <199912162035.NAA20788@mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:
>> : You may not know the answer to this, but it's worth a shot.  Wht kind of
>> : accuracy can we expect using 'cheap' off-the-shelf GPS receivers?
>>
>> We're getting, with ntp4 on a 3.x kernel, about +- 4uSec with a cheap
>> gps receiver + atomic clock on a i486 class machine.
>
>I've got the cheap gps receiver (Garmin 12XL), but what do you mean by
>an 'atomic clock'?  Should the GPS receiver's NMEA messages be adequate
>enough to do the job?  However, all I need is ms accuracy, so anything
>below 500us is good enough for me.

If you only have NMEA you will have a hard time.  At 1200 baud you
get 50 usec jitter just from the rxclock in the uart (16 * 1200),
not to mention how exact the NMEA is transmitted in the first place.

There is a pretty vanilla NMEA refclock, so the easist way to find
out is to try it out next to (in a network sense) a stratum 1 NTP.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!