Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:34:47 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        Andriss <andriss@argate.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maple or mathematica

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Andriss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some info om mathematica for linux,
> but is there a native FreeBSD port of this
> program?
>
> More importantly, is there Maple for FreeBSD?
>
> It would be really awesome if I could run
> maple on my box, would solve a whole bunch of
> problems..
>
> I am willing to pay a reasonable amount of
> money for the commercial software package if
> such exists..

<snip>

> Andriss

Not sure about Maple, but Mathematica 3.0 for Linux runs here
(FreeBSD-current) quite well.
Actually, it runs perhaps even _faster_ then under Linux.

A tiny benchmark (doesn't prove anything, but all the same...):
test on timing:

Do[a[i]=i+5,{i,0,20000}]//Timing

Results:

Here (P5-100, 32Mb (old, not even EDO SIMMS) RAM, FreeBSD):  roughly 5.2
sec
At my friend's (P5-90, 32Mb (nice new DIMMS) RAM, Linux RH-5.1): roughly
5.6 sec

A little, but 100% reproducible.

Regards,
Vladimir