Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 22:55:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   Summary: shopping for new video adapter

I've been asked for a summary, so here it is:

- My question was specific to whether a Matrox Millenium II would be a good
choice for (stock) Xfree and whether it would run OK on a 75Mc PCI bus.

The general opinion seems to be that a Matrox Millenium II is indeed a very
good card, and should run without problems on a 75Mc bus. Even 83Mc buses
seem to work OK. Whether stock Xfree is OK seems to be under debate. Both
claims that stock Xfree is OK and claims that you need Xaccel are present.

A trip to www.xfree86.org seems to indicate that the Xfree86 distribution
now supports the Millenium II. You want to take a close look on the RAMDAC
speed in case you want the highest resolutions and refresh rates (and you
probably do ;-)

So, people sound pleased and I'll probably be getting in the near term.

Wilko

Snippets of received comments:
Not unless you are willing to buy Xaccel.  XFree86 doesn't support it
very well at all.  Xaccel 4.01 is pretty good, modulo some
font-handling bugs.

Except for teh "stock XFree" part.  There *is* an X server for it, off of
the SUSE stuff.  But the freebsd port is unsupported.
I dont' know abotu a 75MHz bus speed, though.

I have a Millenium II, and while I only run it at 66mhz, I am very pleased
with it.  It comes with a minimum of 4M, and I run it at 1152x900 32bpp
with that configuration.  Even though the XFree86 3.3.1 drivers are
considered alpha, I have had no problems with the card.  I don't know
about the 75mhz bus speed only because I haven't jumped into the
overclocking world yet.  All Millenium II's can be upgraded to 16M.  It
also loads my customized X cursor fully, which my #9 Motion 771 2M card
didn't do.

I've run several Milleniums at 83MHz bus speed with no difficulties.
1600x1200 is crystal clear.  I highly recommend the card.

The 4mb Millenium (not millenium 2) I have does this... I've not found any
major problems with it... I beleive the driver is OK (i.e. pretty
'accelerated' ;-)

Yes.  So would the Mystique I think (using both here in 32 and 16 bit,
1152x864).  They can push to 1600 x 1200.
Be sure you get at least 4 MB, and a 250 MHz DAC (220 is not fast
enough for 74Hz / 1200, I think).
Stock 3.3.1, 3.3.2 better (Beta support for Matrox).
Otherwise, some high-end S3 (Matrox is in the SVGA server).

I can certainly say that, among the commonly available i386 video cards,
the Matrox Millenium (all variants) have the best quality video output.
This is likely helped along by the fact that many of the competitors use
integrated RAMDACS, whereas the Millenium has a seperate TI3026 RAMDAC.

Highly recommended. Don't know about 75 MHz bus speed, but while I have
non fear whatsoever of overclocking CPUs, I firmly avoid doing it to
things like PCI busses, since verification of proper behaviour is so
much more difficult.