Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:28:40 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        doublem@ntr.net (Norman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD on Compaq ProSignia (ncr53c710 onboard  SCSI controller)

Norman wrote:

> Compaq ProSignia 486 DX/2 66 manufactured in April/1993 with an onboard
> ncr53c710 SCSI controller card for hard drives only. Populated with a
> Seagate Barracuda (Narrow) and an HP drive (Barracuda partitioned with DOS
> (FAT) and majority Windows NT Workstation (NTFS)).
>
> An Adaptec AHA-1740 populated with a WangDAT Model 3100 tape drive and a
> Panasonic (MATSHITA) CD-ROM (CR-508).
>
> Has anyone successful installed FreeBSD with this configuration (minus the
> population specific, but with the two SCSI controller specifics)?

Hmmm.  FWIW, I installed 2.2.1-R on a Prosignia (300, I think it was.  A P100
or P120, I think.) back in early '96.  The first problem I ran into was that
the generic kernel on the install floppy didn't have support for the NCR SCSI
controller compiled in.  So I borrowed some generic Adaptec (can't remember
which) from a friend and installed from there.  I then recompiled a kernel
with ncr0 and, as I remember, it faithfully picked up both SCSI host
adapters.  Of course, I then removed the Adaptec and switched my devices to
the on-board controller, so I never actually ran both in parallel.

The next issue was the fact that the Compaq had a memory gap option, and
FreeBSD only recognised the first 16M even when I disabled the gap using
Compaq's own DOS-based utilities.  All I had to do was set MAXMEM explicitly.

> Any assistance would be appreciated. I would like to devote drive1 (HP

Are you experiencing any specific problems?

(Aside:  That particular server I set up is still running, though not under
my control for well over a year and now upgraded to 2.2.5-R, doing duty as
mail, DNS, etc. server for a large-ish Microsoft Solution Provider.  I'm
quite proud of it... ;-)

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878