Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 15:30:18 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unknown PNP hardware

> I think the reason the hints are not just ignored is to allow
> people to fix "rogue" hardware.  I'm willing to be corrected,

Good.  It's like it is right now because the PnP stuff was bolted on as
an afterthought.

> since this looks like about 12 lines of code would make it
> ignore device.hints in the "PnP BIOS present" case.

We don't want to ignore the hints either; we just want them to take lower
precedence than the PnP BIOS data.  Hints can be perfectly valid and
relevant in either the "broken BIOS" or "non-PnP device" cases.

Basically, the problem we have is that we don't have the developer
bandwidth to catch up with what has to be done, let alone fix the
bandaids that were applied years ago.  This results in suboptimal
situations like this, something that's only going to be exacerbated as
fully funded developer time for FreeBSD-mainline work doesn't seem to be
increasing. 8(