Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 14:52:01 +1000
From:      Robert <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pppd....again

Hi,
I must confess. I find PPP the darndest thing to get working. I know
everyone else finds it "easy", quote "Just do this and that, and you'll
be right". or "This person did this, do the same". It just doesn't
work. I have had ppp going any number of times, and every time I
come back to it, I have to spend just as long getting it going again.

In a nut shell; I am trying to get pppd working. again. The called site
uses PAP. It's like trying to work out crossword puzzels. I can't do
them
either.

I can dial the site. Thats no problem.

chatfile:
INIT='ATM1'
PHONE=xxx
USERNAME=xxxx
PASSWORD=xxxx
exec /usr/bin/chat xxxxx etc etc ogin: xx and so on.

Fine. That worked befor, and still works. It dials.

 crtscts
 modem
 passive
 debug
 domain chalmers.com.au
 0.0.0.0:203.22.80.20
connect "/etc/ppp/chatfile"
mtu 1500
mru 1500
defaultroute
/dev/cuaa1
115200

Fine, that worked before.  Now all I have to do is try and convince it
that the other end wants to do PAP.
Do you think I can make any sense of the documentation or FAQ's. There
are about 3000 different ways of doing this.

Please, if anyone has a definitive set of instructions for this, I'd
really appreciate knowing what I have to do the the above scripts, to
get it to repsond to PAP, and not just a 'normal' login.

Thanks much for any help.
bob

--
http://www.chalmers.com.au Books-New & Secondhand  Support Whirled Peas.
Agents for CIBTC. Associate of Amazon.com, and Partner Program with iBS.