Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 00:04:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Rich Murphey <rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.org, torstenb@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xpm static library

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Rich Murphey wrote:

> |Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
> |From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
> |cc: torstenb@FreeBSD.org, rich@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
> |
> |On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> |
> |> Remember I complained a while back that the xpm port didn't build
> |> static the static library anymore?  I found out that it's because
> |> config/bsdLib.rules in XFree86-3.1.2 betas don't define ForceNormalLib
> |> to YES anymore.
> |>
> |> Rich, is this going to be a permanent change?  If so, we need to
> |> adjust the ports accordingly.
> |
> |Just let me jump in here a moment.  All that stuff is controlled by
> |FreeBSD.cf, which we really ought to get some chance to tweak, you know.
> |Before it becomes a regular part of a distribution is the right time to
> |consider it.
> |
> |One possibility is to ask that a site.def file be sited in OUR
> |/usr/share/mk directory, so we could get our own meathooks on part of the
> |config.
>
> Yep, FreeBSD.cf would be the ideal place to '#define
> ForceNormalLib YES' specificly for FreeBSD.  Would that
> fix it?  Rich

Yes and no.  It won't fix it as long as the location of that file is
defined to be inside the XFree86 distribution, where our cvs can't touch
it.  Would be kinda nice if either that file or site def (which is
currently in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11config and totally _empty_) were sited
somewhere accessible to our tree.

Personally, I would want some chance to mess with the contents of that
file by giving verbal input to XFree86 members, but not have that inside
our tree.  I would have the site.def in our tree somewhere, where it being
empty or missing wouldn't kill things.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |