Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:21:22 -0700
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pidgin 2.6.5 login QQ failed

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:49:16AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 04:26:07PM +0800, wsk wrote:
> >>hi,
> >>   upgrade all software after upgrade to 8.0. and now found that
> >>pidgin login qq failed. any ideas?
> >
> >If you're talking about AIM or ICQ, it seems that AOL has changed the way
> >servers handle logins so that the previous method doesn't exactly work
> >properly any longer.  There's a work-around that involves opening up the
> >Edit Account dialog for the AIM or ICQ account in question, clicking on
> >the Advanced tab in that dialog, and unchecking the "Use clientLogin"
> >checkbox there.  The potential security implications of this work-around
> >are still being explored, and the Pidgin people are apparently trying to
> >get AOL to clarify its "best practices" recommendation for how to handle
> >logins, but in the meantime this work-around might help solve the problem
> >you're having with logins.
> >
>=20
> qq.com is a social networking site and a messaging application that's
> very big in China.  Which means it's basically the biggest in the
> world...  It has it's own  chat / IM protocol, nothing to do with AOL.

Ah, I didn't realize that such a protocol existed.  I thought perhaps all
the references to "QQ" were just that bizarre "crying" abbreviation that
I think originated in the Philippines.  My mistake.  Feel free to ignore
what I said about AIM and ICQ, then.

--=20

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R--