Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:37:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD availability

I've been rather fortunate here in Boston, Massachusetts (USA).  There are
a number of computer stores and bookstores in the area, and at least a
couple sell Linux and FreeBSD along with other suppoting utilities (e.g.,
various Motif implementations, GNU utilities, C source, etc.).  I think
that's because we have an expanding professional computing industry.  More
importantly, this is a college town with too many universities to count;
stores have learned how to cater to this market.  I just consider myself
lucky. :-)

Anyway, the CDs on the shelves here sell for between $11 and $20 (US), and
since that time, FreeBSD usage has increased.  Linux usage has as well,
with many hobbyists (like myself) jumping on the bandwagon at this
lower-than-mail-order cost.

One of my biggest concerns about FreeBSD is that the installation is
difficult compared to most Linux distributions.  The core team does a
great job on the kernel/tools, but the installation seems to be a bit of
an afterthought for them.  Compare that to Slackware, Red Hat, and Debian
which have dedicated teams working on nothing but the installation
program.  The end result is that even among those I've met who know of
FreeBSD and believe it superior to Linux, many choose to go the Linux
route.

I know many of you consider this a trivial issue, but it would definitely
help to extend FreeBSD's reach.  Not all of us hack filesystems and write
device drivers during lunch. :-)

Let me know what you think,
K.S.