Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:54:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp/www/whatever mirror

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> > find your closest mirror - i don't recomment hitting ftp.freebsd.org
> > directly.  then start mirroring using rsync or spegla or mirror.pl
> > to your local system.
>
> I guess trial and error for this one.

i can't help much.. unless you want to spring for tickets for me
to the US in which case i can help a lot :-)

just doa few traceroutes to ftpX.freebsd.org and pick a close one.

> I'm in CA, basically, I'm going to use it for our internal purposes as
> well as anyone else that might be interested.

well, depending on your bandwidth, you might or might not want to be
advertised.

> Not a master at working with rsync, but I guess it's time I learned.

rsync is trivial to get installed, is much more secure than a ftp server
and offers a lot better mirroring support in terms of bandwidth than
ftp.

to this day it is a constant annoyance there is no rsync support, even
if only for downstream mirrors (not end users) on ftp.freebsd.org :-(

> our traffic is so async, I can continually update the server and it won't
> affect us at all.

cool.  best of luck with getting your mirror up

-jason