Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:31:26 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   static binaries, jails and compat x

Now that we have dynamic binaries everywhere I'm discovering all those
places
where this breaks..

FreeBSD 5 or 6 machine. (needed because freeBSD 4 can't run on the new
hardware)
freeBSD 4 jail to run a legacy app.
ps top and netstat  (and friends) don't work (not surprisingly)
ps I can get from /rescue
but top and netstat are only available in dynamic form.

So I will have to recompile static version myself.

I'm just asking that if anyone has plans to make it actually impossible to
make static binaries..   don't....

I could throw a few 6.x dynalic libraries in the machine but
for example libkvm has the same number in 4.x as it does in fbsd6

libkvm.so.2 (maybe we should have changed that.. (maybe we still can for
6.x?)

and  libncurses does too
so top can't have its own copy.

possibly we could kick the revision number on a few of the basic libraries
(e.g. neded for top and netstat etc).
so that we can run them in jails based around lower revisions of the OS.

and what about ld.so and ld_elf.so.1  might it be worth being possible
to have one for
native binaries and one for binaries that are of the revision that the
jail is..

alternatively how about making it possible to have a /compat/FreeBSD4/
like we do for linux. and allow the OS to be able to identify the revision
of th ebinary and do path tricks liek we do for linux..?