Date:      26 Feb 2001 12:19:43 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, josb@cncdsl.com, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> writes:
>:>>     applications
>:>>     in a single file is (A) a stupid idea, (B) a stupid idea, and most
>:>>     importantly (C) ... a stupid idea.
>:>
>:> So, does that mean we should get rid of /etc/rc.conf?

>    A file such as /etc/rc.conf may apply to many programs, but it's a
>    read-only typically boot-time-only entity.  On top of that, while all
>    the /etc/rc* files reference many different programs, all of the
>    programs and defaults with only a very few exceptions are part of the
>    base system.  99.9% of third party programs don't use /etc/rc.conf
>    directly and don't know it even exists, and entries in rc.conf are
>    typically very small single-line entities.  This means that even
>    though the parameters specified in /etc/rc.conf may apply to many
>    different programs, it is still a very far cry from what registry-like
>    system is designed to deal with.  One can hardly compare /etc/rc.conf
>    against a registry.

        Minor quibble:

        In general I agree with you; however I should note that some things
specified in rc.conf (especially network configuration information) is used
by many programs, though they interact with the pieces of the system that
took their information from rc.conf (via ifconfig for example).

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com