Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:14:07 -0600
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam prevention

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 06:53:36PM -0500, Ian Lord wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to setup a mail server with postfix and sendmail...
>
> To fight spam, is spamassassin the best choice or should I look into
> something else ?
>
> Thanks

I'm using sendmail and imap-uw. I am using greylisting (milter-greylist) and
virus-filtering (clamav with clamav-milter) in sendmail, plus I have
spamassassin available to the users via procmail (which is set as sendmail's
LDA). This setup works very well for my users.

Setting this stuff up in sendmail is also a good time to set up SSL/TLS and
SMTP AUTH. :)

Good luck,

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi@puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger
is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either
a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -- Helen Keller