Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:23:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, alk@pobox.com, gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

> >The problem with the DUL is that it is biases against a technology,
> >rather than being biased against those who would abuse it.
>
> Hmmm. Is that really so? It seems to me that what we have here is not
> a bias against a technology per se, but rather a restriction on a
> particular type of account. This kind of account is often abused.

An account is whatever the person selling the account and the person
buying the account can agree on as their definition of "account".

The word "account" derives from "accounting" (as in charging for CPU
seconds), and implicitly refers to being "accountable" for those
actions which are taken with your credentials in force (including
things like "you pay $4.00 per CPU minute" or "you won't send SPAM").

> Requiring the customer with that kind of account to pass e-mail
> through a certain type of gateway -- one which can detect or limit
> such abuse -- seems like a reasonable restriction.

It seems like an abominable restriction, to me.

Rod mentioned that he could cut the cost of providing his service
to $8.00 a month, and that you'd be an idiot to keep paying a higher
price.

I agree.  Now all we are disagreeing about is the technology used
to implement the cost controls that Rod currently implements by
caching HTTP data (I still can't see how he could do this in a
transparent fashion and still have it function in all cases) and
by SMTP restrictions that I think are "low tech" and "onerous to
customer interests".

> I was dubious; I waited more than a year after hearing about the DUL
> to implement it. But when I finally tried it, I found that it was
> highly effective; it targeted spam like a laser and rejected no
> legitimate traffic.

That you are aware of, in your less-complicated-than-an-ISP setup.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.