Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 15:43:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty Jr.)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, rcarter@geli.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New lmbench available (fwd)

>  > Novell's servers have no means of anonymity.
>  >
>  > Novell's servers must also go to a particular location to look up
>  > a resource identity.  That leaves the location as a bottleneck.
>  >
>  > Novell's servers are broken.
>
> You mean that Novell does not have a mechanism to search for a
> service in a network. So lets say that if I  wanted to print to
> a "lan" printer and I don't care where it is , it can't do that??

I'd like to see you replicate the buildings only color printer.  8-).

A print queue is "a service on a server".

The distinction is impossible to abstract for physicality.

The services I'm talking about are things like "the next 1024 frames
of 'Batman Returns'" or "the latest release of pkzip".

Physical devices are peripherals to the network; they are not contained
within the network.  Content-based addressing can only work for things
that are *within* the network.

In theory, you could not care where the queue that you are printing
to or where the printer servicing that queue resizes (assuming a pull
model for print queuing).  But you always care where the printer lives,
just as you care where your floppy drive and CDROM drive (and maybe a
tape drive) lives.

Services based on data retrieval, on the other hand, are not dependent
on the locality of the storage device containing the data, only the
timeliness of its arrival at the requesting location.

Ie: I can't afford packet transfer times exceeding my pool retnetion
time for my video data.

This discussion is probably getting too arcane for the general
list readership; we should probably move it to private email.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.