Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:46:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "masta" <masta@wifibsd.org>
To:        <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mystery kernel spew

I owe you a beer Doug (or a soda-pop)! ;)

You were correct about the sysctl.conf being the root-cause of the kernel
spew.

My sysctl.conf is having these lines:

#security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
sysctl net.inet.tcp.blackhole=1
sysctl net.inet.udp.blackhole=1

See the fau paux? I must have decided to yank/paste the example
incorrectly from the BLACKHOLE(4) manual, because I also included the
"sysctl" word at the begining of the two lines. To error is human, but
this is utter comedy if you ask me. =)

I'm now able to use dmesg again, wuhoo!

Thanks!
-masta

Allegedly Doug Whitesaid
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, masta wrote:
>
>> For some time now I've have an issue with a dell laptop I use. It
>> spews a bunch of kernel junk after init is spawned, and the spew
>> causes my dmesg to become too full to actually produce a file I can
>> send to the list that is meaningfull.
>
> I remember this :)
>
> This is probably because you have a syntax error in sysctl.conf.  The
> stuff thats printed is the sysctl tree. Its a debugging "feature",
> although I've forgotten what exactly triggers it.
>
> sysctl.conf should be name=value pairs like this:
>
> kern.maxfiles=16384
>
> --
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org

masta@wifibsd.org
http://wifibsd.org