Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 14:05:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Grrr... calcru: negative time blah blah blah

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Poul-Henning
Kamp had to walk into mine and say:

> I'm still banging my head against this one.  I'm working with a
> handfull of people who has this problem, trying to identify what
> the heck is happening.  I can't reproduce it on any of my machines
> here.
>
> If you have an interrupt storm which could lock out hardclock()
> that will certainly screw things up badly.
>
> I have put some diagnostic patches at:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~phk/tc_diag.diff
>
> Please notice the patch to sysctl in there too, it is needed to
> print out all of the "delta history buffer".
>
> Please try these patches out, they will not panic the machine if
> the tests trigger, merely report some applicable details.

Actually, looking at the patch closer, I realize now that none of the
warning messages actually triggered. However each time, the calcru
messages did appear and the system console response became sluggish.

I'm starting to think the problem in this case is an interrupt storm,
but I'm not sure how to debug it. If I set up a second system to do
a remote gdb of the first one, can I single step through things like
interrupt handlers without Weird Things (tm) happening?

-Bill