Date:      26 Mar 2002 10:20:34 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        "Gautham Ganapathy" <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Audio CD without cable

"Gautham Ganapathy" <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com> writes:

> the problem is that there is no actual cable. the only connection between
> the sound card and the cdrom is through the motherboard. soundcard to m/b
> through the PCI slot and m/b to cdrom through the ide connector. i am not
> sure exactly how it is done, unless windows is somehow reading the bits on
> the audio cd and sending it to the soundcard

It sounds like what you want is to read the DA from the CD, convert it
to a format that can be played through your sound card, and then send
the result to the sound card. There are a number of tools in the ports
tree for audio processing and you may have to chain some together to
get your desired result.

audio/cdrtools has cdda2wav included which is a tool to do that. Ther
may be others. Look over the website and see what fits your hardware.

Good luck

Jim