Date:      24 Nov 1999 13:39:15 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Permission denied" in emacs, v3.2

"Boyd Mills" <BMills@VCIControls.ca> writes:

> myname# emacs
> /bin/emacs: Permission denied.
> myname# cd /bin
> myname# ls

Ahem, as far as I know emacs is not supposed to be in the /bin tree.
What you're looking at is probably a shell script, which [guessing]
does not have the execute-bit set in it's permissions?

If that is not the case, an "ls -l /bin" script, along with some of that
"file /bin/emacs" output would certainly prove of enormous use in
sorting this out :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]