Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:31:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Adam D. Gorski wrote:

> Ok.. I converted an 8Khz wav file to Ogg, and that played fine...
>
> I converted a 44Khz Ogg to wav... I got the popping/screeching
>
> So basically it goes along with the suggestion that it's a sampling
> problem... but is this a BSD-only issue? Everything played like a charm for
> me under Linux, no matter what my current CPU load was, never a single skip.
> I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me, and any other
>
> Oh, almost forgot.. when I play that 128bps/44Khz Ogg in XMMS, the bitrate
> fluctuates.. meaning it goes from like 98 to 114 to 104 to 112 and so forth,
> which is accompanied by the screeching.

that's awfully interesting. ogg is supposed to do that. it's a variable
bitrate format. it's not supposed to make nasty noises, tho, and it doesnt
on my box.

are you building all the sound apps from source or using packages?

do you have the faster 586 FPU stuff compiled into the kernel?

are some things being built with -mpentiumpro flag passed to gcc?

i can play mp3s and oggs on my p166mmx hp laptop, but i have every single
kernel hot-rod turned on....

this is quite a perplexing problem, my current guess is a math error where
some portion of the system is expecting the calc's to be done in one way
but it's getting them in a slightly different format.

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life