Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:08:26 -0600
From:      Peter <fbsdq@kuyarov.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   umask -- tar extracting files with same permissions

Hello,
	One one machine my name is peter while on another it's peterk -- I have a website [cgi and all] on the peterk one....I tar zcvf that site and uploaded it to the peter one.  On the peter one my umask is at 0137 .. I untarred the site...well.....all the files got screwed up...like my cgi's were made unexcetuable, my directories unlistable, world writeable files unwriteable, etc. -- what am I doing wrong? I would like to be able to move files from one computer to another retaining permissions [chmod] [owner/group I don't care - whoever untars it].  Can someone please explain to me how this works and what I'm doing wrong/right/what should I be doing?

						Thanks
							Peter