Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:07:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to understand stack overflow

> >If it does, then it would be interesting to have a version of gcc which
> >adds some "noise" as to where exactly in the stack an automatic variable
> >is located.
>
> Yes, I wondered about this too. I don't believe the actual location of
> an auto makes any difference, because the desired effect is to overwrite
> the return address.

How does control flow fall through to the overflow part of the stack?  If
an absolute return address is given, I don't see how this can be done.
There is something about the stack mechanism I need to understand.

> >Would it also be possible to have separate data and control flow
> >stacks?
>
> Yes that would also make more sense.

Any advice here on how to do this would be appreciated.  If there is a
conceptual reason it won't work -- no spare registers, or possibly
interference with custom assembler code -- I would appreciate knowing.  I
just need to find a lousy x386 reference (either online or printed).

Charles Mott