Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:57:54 -0800
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:50:37 -0800
> Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On 01/16/2012 22:32, Jos Backus wrote:
> >
> > > I want/need a solution that works in (nearly) all cases and is devoid
> of
> > > complex code trying to track state that is already represented
> elsewhere
> > > in the system (the process table and the parent/child process
> > > relationship). I want a solution that can reliably handle a crashing
> > > server that doesn't clean up its pidfile (the finish script
> > > functionality in daemontools-encore provides this),
> >
> > We get it, you want daemontools. It's in the ports, you can have it.
> >
> > > and I want a unified
> > > control interface for the services running on a box,
> >
> > rc.d provides that, and service(8) makes that easier.
> >
> > > a la launchd or what have you.
> >
> > We've looked at importing launchd, or something like it. It's not a bad
> > idea, it's just way more complex than it sounds. And a lot more work
> > than "hey, let's import daemontools."
> >
> > If we were going to do something like this I think we should properly
> > spec out what the goals should be, what the available solutions are, and
> > what we want our ultimate solution to look like when we're done.
> >
> > > This isn't about religion but about missing base system
> > > functionality - the ability to reliably control services running on a
> box.
> >
> > And my argument is that we already have that in the base, it's just not
> > the one you want; and since it's not the one you want you're redefining
> > "reliably" to suit your needs.
>
> Just use/improve my fscd.  I meant to import it but have
> just ended up getting too busy.  Now, I'm way too busy and
> would be more than happy to help anyone bring it in.

I looked at fsc briefly but it seems to use pidfiles as well. I also don't
like the BUGS section of fscd.8. The daemontools approach doesn't have this
issue; if a service under daemontools' control dies for whatever reason,
the OS will notify supervise and the finish script (in daemontools-encore)
can perform any user-directed action as necessary.

Jos

--
Jos Backus
jos at catnook.com