Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:02:12 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: in-kernel web server???

>On Sunday 16 December 2001 6:36 pm, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> > Have you experimented with FTP and NFS copy speeds for
>> > comparison?
>>
>> I can't use them. Currently, I heed to run http.
>>
>> > AFAIK FreeBSD does not support zero copy. There are some patches
>> > floating around but I have no knowledge about them.
>>
>> Are you sure?
>>
>> According to Paal Halvorsen, PhD on 'improving i/o performance on
>> multimedia systems' (see
>> http://ConfMan.unik.no/~paalh/index2.html), he says sendfile() is
>> supported under FreeBSD.
>
>Sendfile is supported. As I understand it being able to do zero copy
>memory access and using sendfile are not the same thing. Sendfile may
>be implemented with zero copy, or it may not. I may be wrong with
>this issue.

   sendfile() in FreeBSD is zero-copy, but you're right that an implementation
of sendfile() need not be zero-copy, and in fact I recall that at least an
early version of sendfile() on Linux was not zero-copy.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.