Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2005 00:14:31 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        eoghan <freebsd@redry.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildworld

On 2005-11-01 21:37, eoghan <freebsd@redry.net> wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2005, at 21:11, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >On 2005-11-01 20:26, eoghan <freebsd@redry.net> wrote:
> >>Hello
> >>Is there a way to tell which freebsd buildworld will make?
> >
> >You can guess by looking at:
> >
> >    /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
> >
> >This will give the version of the kernel, which may not be that useful
> >for branches that change often, like CURRENT.  It's a good
> >indication of
> >what branch you're building though.
> >
> >The value of __FreeBSD_version from /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h is also a
> >useful number to have.
>
> Thank you Giorgos
> Let me re-phrase the other part of my question... Given the example
> supfile:
>
> *default tag=.
> *default host=cvsup99.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/var/db
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>
> src-all
>
> This will update to freeBSD-CURRENT
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html#CURRENT

Exactly.

> How would I modify this supfile to update to 5.4-RELEASE?

By using a proper tag= value.  For the 5.4-RELEASE version of the
sources, this would be:

        tag=RELENG_5_4_0_RELEASE

The exact process that leads to the creation of a release branch and the
tag that marks the sources of the official release build is described in
detail at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-proc.html