Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:18:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

> >Now if you can find yourself a TA that can do 230.4 or 460.8, and the
> >ET/5025 is able to do that in async, that might be a benefit.  I've
> >retrofitted 16550 ports to run at such speeds and the CPU does eventually
> >reach a point where it has difficulty keeping up on a consistent basis
> >(although this is more likely a driver issue...?)
>
> 115k minus 20% async overhead.....Mostly I've heard about 70k or so for
> async links....If you don't think that 20-30% is worth an extra hundred
> dollars, then I guess you're entitled to that. It is, however, a consideration.

Really??!!

I had a 386DX/40 that routinely chatted with a 386DX/16 at 115200 (UUCP over
TCP/IP as a SLIP connection) and consistently hit > 10.5K/sec -- the number
ran around 11K/sec during non-peak times here at MEI, and I attribute the
difference to our network rather than any of the FreeBSD boxes involved (our
network traffic peaks at wire saturation at times, and never falls below
10%).

The 386/40 was also running the uucico for one side...

These two systems had jacked-up serial ports.  When I ran them at 230.4K, I
started to hit serial overruns, but with TCP/IP retries they still were
capable of hitting 19K/sec (which amazes me!!!)  However at 19K/sec the
386DX/16 was definitely swamped, and the 386DX/40 was having troubles too
(it was also maintaining the uucico, several uncompress/gzip's concurrently,
another uucico running over ANOTHER SLIP link over a V.FC modem connection
to sol.net).

For those who are wondering what the hell I was doing  :-)  I was receiving
a full news feed.  Because I could not directly connect to the local network
(firewall restrictions), I came in through a carefully gated, hardwired SLIP
connection into the terminal server, and ran UUCP to gather batches of news.
That was the high speed link  :-)  I then turned around and tossed it into
sol.net's WAN structure with an ordinary POTS/V.FC modem.  In the process,
because the news was only compressed, I uncompressed it and used gzip -9 on
it to achieve more virtual throughput  :-)

So I don't see an extra 20-30%, and I do see MORE than an "extra hundred
dollars" (you have a product that sells for $139 with two ports??  I didn't
think so).

Everyone else please note:  I am a satisfied ET customer, but I am just
having a hard time swallowing this line of reasoning  :-)

... JG