Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 06:53:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed code merge, objections?

> > I've been told there is no official policy on this, so I want some
> > feedback.  I am considering currently a merge of the alog driver
> > (Industrial Computer Source AIO8-P) into -stable.
>
> -stable is not meant to accumulate new features from -current.  Unless
> there are strong reasons, new drivers should not migrate there.  This
> _is_ official policy.

So to put things differently, what is the policy to move features
from -current to -stable ? Unfortunately we don't have a port
category for kernel enhancements, maybe we should add one.

Lot of people prefer to run one version of the OS across different
systems, and this is generally a RELEASE or -stable, and it is a
bit too much to ask people to upgrade to -current to try out some
(for them) interesting feature.

For things like drivers etc we can gain a lot from testing on different
hardware. I have had a lot of useful feedback from 2.2. users on the sound
driver, infinitely more than what I got from -current users when the
driver was integrated there. I think the same happened for the Bt848
driver.

While it is ok to leave individuals (like me) put up a set of patches
for a kernel enhancement, it is annoying for end users to follow the
announcements on the list and hunt for such patches. It would be much
more convenient to get them through the standard means (cvsup etc.)

	Cheers
	Luigi