Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:34:37 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jamel Brown" <viril29@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: setting up a server

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:51:46 -0800 (PST), Jamel Brown wrote:

>To Whom it May concern:
>
>I have 5 computers in which I would like to run a
>small business from. 4 computers have a 40 GB hard
>drive and the other one has a 10 GB hard drive. All
>the computers have 512 mb of ram, and all them will Be
>running freebsd 4.5. My problem is, with all the books
>I have read non of the tell you how to partition your
>computer for just one service. I have listed below
>what I would like to use each system for.  As far as
>the mail server goes I planned on having as many mail
>accounts as I could fit on the hard drive and wanted
>to give each user a 20 MB account. If yawl do not deal
>with these type question could you at least lead me in
>the right direction so i could get the answer to my
>question. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

if you want just a firewall & dhcp server, just install ipfw & natd &
isc-dhcp, and don't start inetd on the firewall..
from there, use natd to redirect the incoming ports to your seperate
servers (ie 25 for mail 21 for ftp etc), and then on each machine,
don't run inetd, and run the daemon standalone (or however you want),
just don't enable any other services. (ie look in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf).  it you want to limit diskspace, look into
QUOTAS.. that is how FreeBSD does it.

basically it is a matter of just enabling just the daemon you want
running on that system..

make sure you disable telnet, and have sshd enabled.

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB