Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:24:15 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

Ken Key stated:
: Hi Folks,
:
: I spent most of last week repeatedly converting an A21P and a T21 into
: wortless bricks and back, trying to find a way to get FreeBSD running on
: them.  I distilled the death point to:
:
: - Do the install (I've used both boot0 and  LILO, doesn't matter), it's
:   a brick - won't even get into the BIOS menu.
: - Pull drive out and boot on my 600X.  Fire up fdisk and change it from 165
:   to something else.  Do not touch MBR or anything else.
: - Put drive back in (A21P and T21) and I can now get into the BIOS screens
:   or actually boot via boot0 or LILO into Win2K.
: - Put drive back in 600x, change back to 165, back in *21
: - It is a brick.
:
: So, while I don't know what IBM is doing with partition type 165,
: I am convinced it is a key to the boot lock-up problem for the
: T21 and A21P.  Now boot0 has grown from 1 to 2 sectors in length,
: maybe that's what "the story inside IBM" is trying to talk about -
: I don't know.  However, the above pattern was reproduced with LILO,
: independant of boot0, so I really don't think boot0 is related to
: the problem.
:
: We have a couple of T20s' running FreeBSD, so this particular behavior
: seems to be related to changes for the *21 models.  The T20 guys are
: never going to "upgrade" their BIOS after this mess.

Ken-

I had heard a rumor that part of the issue was with FreeBSD's
default MBR tweaks which set the partition to 165 _and_ make it
active.  When I installed on an A20M -- not sure that it is even
an afflicted system -- I made sure that FreeBSD didn't mangle the
MBR on install and use the Partition Magic's BootMagic as a boot
loader.  Not sure if any of this would help with your situation
or not.   I took this route mostly because the machine is not
mine nor ISDS's ... personal machine for visiting faculty member.