Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2011 16:10:15 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Ignatenko <gelraen.ua@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/163508: [rc.subr] [patch] Add &quot; enable&quot; and &quot; disable&quot; commands to rc.subr

On 12/26/2011 09:26, Maxim Ignatenko wrote:
> On 26 December 2011 08:12, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> No, I get that totally.  I just don't care.  The fact that others
>>> have failed shouldn't mean we should discourage others from trying.
>>> We shouldn't be shooting arrows at people before they are given a
>>> chance to produce something good or bad, or when they do shooting
>>> them without evaluating their work.
>>
>> You do get that the OP included a patch, right?

>>> Most people call that a bug, or at least POLA.  The few cases in the
>>> tree where bar_enable=yes forces foo_enable=yes can be dealt with.
>>
>> No, you seem to be missing my point. Because of the way that rc.d
>> processes the various *conf* options the last match "wins." So let's say
>> that you had foo_enable=0 in /etc/rc.conf; but one of the conf files
>> that's processed later has foo_enable=1. If that's the last match, it
>> gets started. This is one of the many concerns regarding trying to
>> automatically enable or disable things.
>>

> Proposed patch searches all files (except /etc/defaults/rc.conf) that
> are included by load_rc_config() in _reverse_ order, so even if there
> are some other files included in rc.conf,

It's unusual, but not impossible for files to actually be included in
/etc/rc.conf. What I think you're referring to is the files included by
rc.d.

> foo_enable=NO gets added to
> the end of last processed file and we still have foo enabled.

I reviewed your patch, I understand how it works. I still think you're
missing my concern. Imagine this scenario:

1. foo gets enabled by something (a port, whatever).
2. User notices that foo is enabled, doesn't understand why, and adds
"foo_enable=no" to /etc/rc.conf.
3. Because foo_enable=yes is in a conf file other than /etc/rc.conf,
which is included later, it gets started again on next reboot.
4. User is confused.

Doug

--

		[^L]