Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:31:05 -0500
From:      "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trying to build Nessus 4 from ports

Good Day

Trying to build /usr/ports/security/nessus on FreeBSD 9-beta2 with ports
updated via - portsnap fetch update - completed 09/22/2011.  The result
from #>make;

===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for nessus-libraries-2.2.9_1
===>   nessus-libraries-2.2.9_1 depends on executable: bison - found
===>   nessus-libraries-2.2.9_1 depends on package: libtool>=2.4 - found
===>  Configuring for nessus-libraries-2.2.9_1
*                   W a r n i n g                      *
*                                                      *
* Nessus needs Berkeley Packet Filter (bpf).           *
* To use nessus, your kernel must be rebuilt with bpf, *
* and make bpf devices on /dev directory.              *
*                                                      *
* Be sure to build as many bpf devices as you need.    *
* For more info on this read files/README.BPF          *
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/nessus-libraries.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/nessus-libnasl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/nessus.

 From an earlier post on freebsd-questions I added;

# Historically X depended on this, but version 4.3.0 doesn't seem to anymore
#link    ttyv0    vga

# Commonly used by many ports
#link    acd0    cdrom

# Allow a user in the wheel group to query the smb0 device
#perm    smb0    0660

# Allow members of group operator to cat things to the speaker
#own    speaker    root:operator
#perm    speaker    0660

own     bpf0    root:bpf
perm    bpf0    0640
own     bpf1    root:bpf
perm    bpf1    0640
own     bpf2    root:bpf
perm    bpf2    0640
own    bpf3    root:bpf
perm    bpf3    0640
own    bpf4    root:bpf
perm    bpf4    0640

to /etc/devfs.conf.  But I still get;

crw-r-----  1 root  bpf         0,  11 Sep 22 21:14 bpf
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel            3 Sep 22 21:14 bpf0 -> bpf
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel       0,  49 Sep 22 21:14 bpsm0

in /dev after rebooting.  Do I require a statement in rc.conf or
loader.conf to activate more bpf devices?  Am I editing the right file
the wrong way?  The proper handbook chapter escapes me right now.

Previous to trying to build nessus from ports I built a new kernel with
- device      bpf     enabled.

Thank You,
Michael