Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:09:10 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pop client server question

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:09:43PM +0000, David Banning wrote:

> If I can collect my mail with fetchmail or popclient
> without a separate server or daemon running, why are daemons
> needed - what program utilizes, say popper?

To collect your mail with fetchmail from your ISP's pop3 server, you
do not need to run popper yourself.  You will need to set up a mail
transfer agent, like Sendmail, Qmail, or Postfix though, if you are
planning on actually replying on some of those messages, and have the
replies forwarded through your ISP's mail server.

The route for an incoming mail message in my dialup box is:

	[ sender ] -> [ ISP's mail server ] -> [ mailbox at ISP ]
	[ mailbox at ISP ] --> fetchmail --> [ my local Sendmail ]
	[ my local Sendmail ] --> procmail --> [ mailbox ]

Then when I send mail to someone, the route of outgoing messages is:

	[ my mail client ] --> [ my local Sendmail ]
	[ my local Sendmail ] --> [ recipient's mail server ]
	[ recipient's mail server ] --> [ recipient ]

The programs involved in this setup are:

        * My mail client software [Mutt, when we're talking about me,
          but you can use any client you prefer].

        * Sendmail.  A local mail transfer agent that takes care of
          queueing outgoing mail and delivering them to my ISP's mail
          server when I am online.

        * Procmail.  I use this to sort my incoming mail to folders,
          which makes it easier for me to browse through high-volume
          mailing lists (like freebsd-questions, for instance).

        * Fetchmail.  This takes care of popping all my mail messages
          from my ISP's pop3 server (which is not necessarily the same
          host as the outgoing mail server, although this is usually
          true).

Hope that this helps you get some things cleared up, and that you will
soon be able to make a setup that makes it possible for you to send
and/or receive mail easily, by running:

	% fetchmail -a -K --invisible

Ciao...

Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >